Monday, August 22, 2011

METAPHYSICAL PHOTOGRAPHY



"Beckoning Shadows", copyright 2011


Historically speaking, the idea of metaphysical imagery stems from Giorgio De Chirio. It was about seeing a reality behind the obvious, perceiving the invisible within the physical realm. It is not really about transcendence.


It is the joy of discovery that marks my photography, and the process can be intense. In addition to my cat photography, "found objects" or, to be more precise, surfaces compel me. I'm used to standing in front of or behind a camera - there are habits that can never be changed. Martin doesn't necessarily understand my almost manic need to always carry the camera around. I am grateful that my dad gave me a Nikon D90 a year and a half ago, it has made a big difference to my artistic progress. I can only hope for something even better (a better lens would be important) and try to do the best I can with what I have right now.


It is my innate love of the fundamental elements of our reality - form, texture and color - that directs my search for interesting patterns in unexpected places. For instance this year, I have concentrated on garbage containers - skips, in other words. I'm not interested in what's in them but how they look on the outside.  However at this stage, I don't want to say more about the project ... I also enjoy practising a form of art that is reasonably fast to process; I sometimes need quick results in order to feel accomplished.I call my abstract photographs metaphysical because they transcend the reality of the photographed objects. I postprocess the images to some extent because this is not a case of documentation, but the vision of a heightened reality. I want to inspire people to look around and discover unusual and interesting details where you least expect to find them. It is also important to me that the audience can relate to the image through associations in some way, because there is nothing as satisfying as a stimulated imagination.

The following are examples of metaphysical photographs from earlier this year:

"Danse Macabre", copyright 2011
"Left-over Heart", copyright 2011
"As I Walked Out Into the Night..." copyright 2011
From our walk in the Brecon Beacons on Monday where, among other things, we ran into an old quarry. 


"Wall Flower" copyright 2011
"Fire it Up!" copyright 2011
Please read more on my website!

"The act of discovery during one of my photo shoots is intense, and this is especially true of  my abstract photography. Interesting patterns and texture can be found in the things that people have thrown away or abandoned. It's my innate love of some of the basic elements of tangible reality – form, texture, colour – that becomes apparent in the compositions I create out of these. I aim to capture what I see and but then create a new whole out of the parts. This is not documentation; it is a process of altering what I've seen through the tools available for photographers to make it into something of heightened reality. Thus the discovery of beauty in the most unlikely places as well as the work that I do to an image after it has been captured are both crucial to the creative process. I hope this will  inspire  greater attention to the aesthetics that surround us.

The power of observation brings about a mindset apart from the normal attraction to that which is pleasant and beautiful. Paradoxically, by allowing oneself to look where beauty seems absent, one often makes interesting observations that can be transformed through the power of creativity into something intriguing and aesthetically pleasing.

I believe that one of the purposes of art is to awaken curiosity, and that feeling intrigued by a sense of recognition is fundamental to humans and therefore of the greatest importance. Out of this comes a sense of sharing, which builds bridges and supports us in our lonesome journey on Earth."

No comments:

Post a Comment