We bought some paints when a hardware store was selling out, as well as got some pots here and there over a long period of time, and this was the basis for the work we have been able to do in the house. We also bought some white floor paint and some items from Ikea when we got a small sum of money. This is what we have done.
The kitchen was really a kitchen from hell. Someone had recycled some old cabinets from the 1980s but of course nothing really fitted very well. They also covered the walls in panelling, which I call the "sauna effect"! We desperately needed to do something about the state of affairs but it was difficult without any money. I gradually painted one wall after another with cheap white matt emulsion.
One sleepless night I was thinking about the cabinet doors, which would be very difficult and somewhat pointless to replace until we have some money. I made a decision and since I couldn't sleep I just got up at four am and primed them with Crown Multi Surface Primer. In the morning I asked Martin what he thought and he didn't even notice! But the next two days we painted them with a mixture of a water based green paint that I got on sale and some pigments. Though the pigments don't mix very easily, when applied they blend and create a surface that doesn't look dull. This is one of my little tricks to get an interesting shade and surface! I love dark green and quite enjoy creating my own shade anyway.
|The spice rack is also from Ikea, built from four pieces.|
|We've been looking for a bread bin for a long time, but when I saw a series of tins|
for only £ 15 in a supermarket I figured it was just as well to go for it.
The tiles in the background aren't painted yet, but they are not as obtrusive
as the ones on the other side.
I had some spare halogen light fittings that Martin put up on the walls.
I had a three-piece halogen light fitting that Martin attached to the cabinet
for better working light.
These tiles were spray painted white.
|A lamp stand from Ikea was bought to fit this shade,|
as a cosiness factor in the corner.
I painted the side of the unit dark green to create as much
sense of coherence in a chaotic looking kitchen as possible.
|We bought these halogen lights for the ceiling on sale some time ago, we like the vintage look.|
Decent lighting. i.e many small spots and halogens, helps to make the space cosy.
|I really like my set of Scandinavian chairs and a bench from about 1910.|
I have primed them, but am still looking for the right paint. I think they will remain white.
The seats are clad with some William Morris fabric I found in Finland.
|My artwork "Grazing A Maze" from 2006 adorns the space above the fridge,|
along with a small blackboard from Indiska.
Luckily the floors are tiles, they are not our taste at all but at least it's neat...
|Finding a way of fastening the curtain really required lateral thinking...|
I had to get them up quickly for Christmas and didn't have time to fuss with eyelets.
I had these curtain hooks from the past, but only one set. The other set is much thicker metal.
It was hard to find thin metal ones anywhere, most are plastic these days,
but in the end I found similar ones from John Lewis so I will be able to make small eyelets that will fit the hooks.
I have taken the little curtain grips that are traditionally used in Finland
and bent the wire so that I could fasten it to the actual shower curtain hooks.
It doesn't look too bad.
The floors in the bathroom have been painted white with Ronseal Diamond Hard Floor Paint, but some more coats will be necessary. We also solved the problem with dirty laundry - I admit to creating quite a lot of it... - by getting a big but cheap metal garbage bin for £ 16. It was a damn sight cheaper than any decent quality laundry bins!
|The space between the floorboards still needs filling.|
Ideally you would take the boards out and reposition them,
but Martin will be using caulking and hemp rope instead.
The old step ladders function as clothes depository...