Thursday, September 1, 2011

WELCOME TO MY ARTIST'S STUDIO



Since I was about 17, I've been quite obsessed with the beauty of objects. It's only natural that I get an urge to photograph items in a way that enhance their beingness in the world. "A thing of beauty is a joy forever..." (Keats)...


During Powys Arts Month, Martin and I will be keeping our studios open for the general public. You can see us presented in this virtual catalogue, which will hopefully soon be in print. We will be working on some concrete art during that time and there will be lots and lots of art on the walls.



I have promised to talk about lifestyle in this blog, and this is something that is very important to me in relation to my workspace. In all honesty, my studio is also my private space, so I have opted to have quite a lot of my personal possessions here. It's very small, and there is very little storage space, as my big cupboard didn't go up the stairs! We are not sure what to do about that.

Artmaterial...


Boxes....


Books and  folders...




Storage...


For the time being I have to live with open shelves, which is not really my favourite choice as I like to be fairly organized and have a clutter free space. However, I like to organize my stuff in ways that are pleasing to me and so the following is a peep into the way I perceive beauty in physical objects and how I combine them. In some of the pictures you will see my grandmother, who was a prima ballerina.

Decorative details, compelling images and favourite objects...









Lastly, a few images of the space... It's quite obvious which my favourite colour combinations are. The accessories are among other things cards and prints, a work table from Ikea, an old weathered oak desk, red velvet curtains, white printed cotton curtains from Ian Snow, Indian printblocks, an old metal top for a stove, a lot of small charity shop finds and as much natural material as possible.




WILLIAM MORRIS'S IDEOLOGY:

“The true secret of happiness lies in taking a genuine interest in all the details of daily life.”

"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful”

“Simplicity of life, even the barest, is not a misery, but the very foundation of refinement; a sanded floor and whitewashed walls and the green trees, and flowery meads, and living waters outside.”

“If I were asked to say what is at once the most important production of Art and the thing most to be longed for; I should answer; A beautiful House; and if I were further asked to name the production next in importance and the thing next to be longed for; I should answer; A beautiful Book. To enjoy good houses and good books in self-respect and decent comfort, seems to me to be the pleasurable end towards which all societies of human beings ought now to struggle.”


(You guessed it, Morris is my hero).


However, in order to feel fulfilled you must be able to eat and drink...
(Sheets of music and a Russian poster of the revolution)



No comments:

Post a Comment